Tuesday, January 26, 2016

To Induce or not to induce...Part II

So I left off with the big decision to induce or not. My Dr. told me she would induce me a week past my due date but I got the feeling that she would rather I wait until I was 2 weeks past to induce. I wanted the baby out...but I also didn't want to cause a c-section. I didn't know what to do.

Ultimately I decided to try the induction. I say try because my Dr. told me that I would go in on a friday morning and start the induction, but if it didn't work she was going to send me home until I was more ready. This scared the crap out of me...but my gut was telling me to try.

So on July 10th at 6:30 am Hubs and I went in to the hospital and I got induced. They started the medicine and within 4-5 hours I was really feeling contractions. I fought through them because they wouldn't give me an epidural until my Dr. came and checked me. At one point in the afternoon I caved in and asked for medicine for the pain...they gave me stadol (not sure how you spell it), but I hated it! It made me feel so drowsy and sick. I remember telling my husband to watch me because I was afraid I'd stop breathing (i know I'm dramatic). That wore off in 2 hours and I just sucked up the pain. Finally around 6:30 my Dr. came in and checked me. I was 5 cm dilated!! She said she was going to break my water and I could get my epidural! Yay!!! I was having a baby!!!

I won't go into great detail about the rest of the birth...unless anyone wants me to. But it was a good birth overall. The transition was difficult...as it is for everyone. I needed the anesthesiologist to come back twice to give me more medicine during that point. I ended up being able to push around 1 am and Hunter was born at 3:06 am.



So doing the induction worked for me. I have heard horror stories of women in labor for days after being induced. I feel very lucky that I was in labor for about 21 hours. I do feel like my labor may have been harder because I was induced...but I have nothing to compare it to. I think next time I would listen to my Dr. and go to 42 weeks if baby didn't come before getting induced. Maybe my labor wouldn't have been so difficult...specifically the transition period. But overall I'm glad it worked out and we had a happy and healthy baby boy.
ca9b57456dd4691d325f3379ccee20aaba8eac3579783a577c
Were you induced? Or did you go into labor naturally?

No comments :

Post a Comment